curing loose t-pins w/sandpaper (different sized pins)

Mon, 9 Jun 2003 01:10:53 +0200

Me too :)

However, it seems like some brands even come with different diameters on the
tuning pins. We had two Bechstein A's from 1904-1915 in the workshop. I
measured the pin-size in the treblestrings and got 6.75mm, the other guy
measured it in the bass and got 6.9mm. We never thought about the fact that
we had measured on different sides on the pianos, so we assumed they used
different sizes on the whole pianos, from the factory. Since the older one
was the one with 6.75 we assumed they started with 6.9mm to decrease the
flag-poling effect (they got openfaced pinblocks, for all of you not
familiare with Bechstein). We were fairly sure that they never had been
restrung. We later realized that they had 6.90 in the bass and 6.75 on both
the pianos. The only reason I can come up with is the stringtension being
higher in the bass.

Anyone with an idea?

Best regards,
Daniel Lindholm