Key Leads and Inertia

Mon, 09 Jun 2003 19:34:17 +0200

My my my... June must be global sarcasm month :)

> >>Stephen Birkett harmlessly begins:

> >>Stephen,

To whit John Hartman twists,

> >>Thanks for bringing this up, it's another reason to be suspicious of the
> >>benefits of precision static calibration. It strikes me as absurd ...Oh,
> >>I forgot, they should only play very softly.
> >>
> >>John Hartman RPT

Which prompts Phil Ford to counter

> >I couldn't agree more.  And now that you mention it, no temperament
> >results in all the intervals being pure.  So it strikes me as absurd that
> >anyone bothers tuning the d_____ things at all.  They're just going to be
> >mostly out of tune anyway when you get done.
> >
> >Phil Ford BFD

 Resulting in this pure umitigated smaltz frrom Richard Brekne

> Only tuning from a perspective of the dynamics of the pianos voice will
> achieve this,  where as simply aligning the notes to some number on a
> chart will result in a voice no-one will remember. A dull, characterless,
> monotony of de-symphonized noise. Nay.... our task is to take that
> succulent breath of musical endeavour and impart this through our
> extremties with a creative transparency equal in quality to that used by
> the pianist herself. A tuners task is one of near ultimate consumation,
> to emulsify oneself in the veritable soul of the instrument and in leave
> it in a state of shimmering bliss so that the slightest touch... the most
> delicate contact brings it cause to sweep these sonorous soundings
> through the spirit of all who would but open their ears to the pianists
> mind.
> _

And the typicaly acidic comment from Ron N

> Absolutely right Phil, and that goes for just about anything we could do to
> a piano. They're immortal, after all, and our changing anything makes them
> something other than original and no longer representative of the
> manufacturers' intent. Any action problems can be addressed to the
> manufacturers' standards by regulation, like any tone production problem is
> cured by a little voicing. Most of what we all do is obviously both
> unnecessary and counterproductive.
>
> Ron N

Personally, I think all this is pretty funny. ROLF. Thanks Stephen, for
harmlessly prompting yet another enlightening exchange on PianoTech, Sponsered
by Hennes and Mauritz, Coca Cola, and Microsoft.

We need a theme song !

Grin.

Cheers
RicB