False Beats in high treble after stringing

Dave Smith dsmith941@comcast.net
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 21:09:09 -0400

Just finished stringing my Wing and Sons upright piano project and have quite a few false beats in the last two octaves of treble in single strings.  My first restringing project.  Phil Bondi suggested that I ask on-list for advice.  The treble bridge seemed (to me anyway) to be in pretty good shape.  About 1/3 of the bridge pins were loose and I had removed and replaced after putting epoxy on the ends of the pins.  Also a little epoxy whereever there appeared to be any hints of small cracks near the pins.    Great results, except in certain strings of the high treble. Other than there, the piano sounds great.   I don't see anything different about these strings or the bridge from other strings, but I think I need to fix if possible.  For example, B6 center string has a beat of about 2 bps.  Not as loud as a real beat between two strings, but still THERE.   Some higher strings beat faster.

I have experimented with seating the strings with my copper rod, at each bridge pin.  Also tried tapping each bridge pin in a small bit.  Doesnt seem to help, except in certain strings.  I did lightly sand and buff the v-bar before restringing, and think I have the right adjustment on the pressure bar.  I've been reading the archives and the PTG CD articles re false beats, but the number of "hits" for this search term is overwhelming.

Can anyone offer me advice on what to do next to reduce the false beats, short of unstringing and recapping bridge, etc?  I would appreciate your help!

Frustrated in Florida,

Dave Smith
SW FL