Rude Question was False Beats ...

bruce greig bgreig@nyc.rr.com
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:27:31 -0400

Re: False Beats in high treble after stringingAlan:
I recall specifically a small recent vintage Schimmel vertical that was =
incredibly pure all the way up to note 87 where there was perhaps one =
false beat, maybe two.  I don't see too many of the high end German =
pianos but in general they seem to be superior in this regard.  Some of =
the large Yamaha & Kawai uprights with full agraffes are also superior. =
Can't immediately think of any grands, and I see far more grands than =
verticals, that fall into this category, though.
Bruce=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan=20
  To: 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 1:14 PM
  Subject: Rude Question was False Beats ...

  Has there ever been a single piano, new or old, expensive or cheap, =
that didn=92t ANY false-beating strings? I have never tuned a new, =
expensive grand, nor have I ever tuned a concert piano or any 9-footer, =
and I=92ve never seen a new Steinway. All of these are kind of rare =
(non-existent) out here in the boonies so maybe my question is rude =
and/or stupid. But I have seen a lot of pianos from ancient beaters to =
crappy spinets to brand new Baldwin uprights and almost new pianos of =
many makes.

  =20

  I=92ve never heard a wholly clean-sounding piano.

  =20

  Have I just been too sheltered, or=97rude question=97are false beats =
just part of the territory, the imperfect science of piano building and =
the many compromises we put up with.

  =20

  I am in my bunker, flak jacket and helmet in place. Fire away!

  =20

  Alan R. Barnard

  Salem, MO