Key Ratio

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 19:13:26 -0400

Richard Brekne wrote:
 > I think it was John Hartman that asked me for a drawing of what I
 > meant about the key ratio changing depending on the starting position
 > and ending position. Again, here is that exagerated example of the
 > three points on the key. A is the key front, B is the capstan, and O
 > is the fulcrum. And remember we are looking at the change in vertical
 > position for points A and B.

Thanks for the drawing, I see your point. I think the contradiction can
be resolved looking at the lever arms in relation to their arcs of
motion. Then the ratios will be correct. As I said before how you
measure the lever arms depends on what aspect of action mechanics you
are interested in working on. If you are investigating the static
balance of weights it is easier to use lever arm measurements that are
perpendicular to the force of gravity. If you are interested in the
motion of levers (how far they move) then you should measure the lever
arms diagonally and use arc measurements for the motion. The two are
roughly similar but not the same.

Let me give you some examples. It is true that for a key with a front
lever arm of 100mm and a back lever arm of 50mm (measured along the
length of the key) a 2 gram weight on the capstan will balance a 1 gram
weigh at the front of the key. It is only roughly true that when you
depress the key 10mm at the front the capstan will rise 5mm (your
drawing shows this). To measure this motion precisely you need to
measure the lever arms diagonally and use arc measurements for the
distances. The two will be very close (In the case of a key) but not the
same.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin