False Beats in high treble after stringing

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:56:35 -0500

>O.K. this is something I've been confused about for some time now. I
>thought that the chemical reaction between the two components of epoxy
>were what caused heat and therefore the curing or hardening process. If
>you heat with a hair drier or heat gun how does the epoxy thin and not
>harden? I believe you, I just don't know how this is possible. Is there a
>different way to mix the epoxy or a different product to buy?
>
>Greg

Heat thins the epoxy momentarily, but accelerates the cure rate too, so the
net effect is better penetration but a shorter working time. It can get
touchy, depending on your epoxy and mix proportions when you find that as
the stuff cools from your heat application, it goes from the viscosity of
water to that of tar - or stone. Best to experiment some with an unfamiliar
product to get acquainted with it's characteristics before committing in a
piano. If you ever need to know anything about epoxy, ask Terry.

Ron N