Key Leads and Inertia

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:15:24 -0400

>> Thanks for your comments Richard.... However no proofs or
>>reasoning will
>> override the simple truth of whether or not pianists like it...
>>
>> Right?
>>
>> David S.
>
>Can we anticipate a Stanwoodized piano at Dallas?  --rm

Sorry,

I'm taking a break in my 12 consecutive years of teaching at National...
Devoting my energy to training Precision TouchDesign Installers here on
Martha's Vineyard.

(Still one opening for the July 21-27 training...)

Mark Wrote:

>Suggestion 2 is to find a way to directly measure the rotational inertia
>of the keys.  That's hard, but not impossible.  Then add weights
>to smooth out both balance weight and key inertia.

I've spent many hours thinking about and trying methods for balancing the
keysticks using small amounts of lead on either side to get the keys to
swing to uniform or smooth period on a pendulum jig...  You get a smoother
dynamic feel... Theoretically.... It's just too much work for the perceived
improvement....  More practically, a uniform thickness of the backside of
the key and uniform selection of the wood for the key blank seems to be
good enough...  Bosendorfers seem to have the most uneven thickness of the
back side of the key...   A major factor in favor of smooth front weights
is that you don't have to rebalance the keys everytime you replace hammers.
 You just balance the weight of the hammers to spec.  It would be so much
better if pianos were made this way in the factory.... It would save lots
of confusion and problems when hammers are replaced...

David S.