Steinway O

Calin Tantareanu dnu@fx.ro
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:21:02 +0300

Re: Steinway ORon, I forgot this:
  Just play chromatically up the last few agraffe notes of the O, =
crossing over into the duplex section to hear the organised chaos which =
begins immediately you cross to the duplexed section. When I hear this =
cacophony, all I want to do is reach for the angle grinder.

  Ron O.
I tried it and you are right. Some of the longer duplex sections are =
ringing noticeably. The piano hasn't been tuned yet (I only got it on =
Sunday) so it's too early to say more.

To be honest, I fail to understand the purpose of this front duplex in =
Steinway's - no string segment is equeal to the other becasue of the =
angled bearing bar so they can't sound in tune with anything. Maybe it's =
this kind of eerie ringing they were after, back then?  ;-)=20

There's another interesting thing: the back duplex doesn't have the =
usual separate "tuned" bearing bars, but some continuous curved bearing =
bars (part of the plate), pretty much like the front duplex, and not =
muted with felt.
What was the idea behind this design?
I've also seen it in Boesendorfer pianos.

Regards,

 Calin Tantareanu
 http://calintantareanu.tripod.com