Name this tool

Mark Dierauf mdierauf@attbi.com
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:47:46 -0400

  My first thought was indeed that it was some sort of backcheck tool
(after all - it *looks* like a sort of anti-backcheck). But when I tried
it on some old Steinway actions around the shop I found that the mortise
was too small to fit the backchecks. Also, the width of the tool seemed
to prevent its use for bending backcheck wires without removing the key
from the keyframe. Since the tool was found on a relatively new concert
piano, I assumed it was for adjusting rather than for *installing*
backchecks. I subsequently tried it on a new Tokiwa/Steinway backcheck
and it will fir on that - if I remove the little square of buckskin from
the tool. Clever. Thanks for all the responses.

- Mark

>Ran across one of these today. The back-side is labeled "Steinway &
>Sons". The tool is on top of a CD case in the photo for
>scale/perspective. The slot leading off to the left os about 1/4" deep,

>whereas the mortice to the right of the slot is more like 3/8" deep.
>There is a square of buckskin visible in the photo at the right end of
>the mortice. Anybody know what this is?
>
>Mark

I think the technical term is backcheck driver-inner.

Ron N