Plastic Kawai problem

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:55:56 -0500

At 10:09 AM -0400 6/12/03, Piannaman@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 6/12/03 5:01:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>donmannino@attbi.com writes:
>
>>So, what do you mean by an unyielding birds-eye?  I am amazed at
>>the assumptions people make.  I guess you haven't been to my action
>>centers class yet . . .

Ahem, I think my assumption was perfectly reasonable. From my
experience with most plastic (not Kawai's) it is hard and subject to
break if you shove a 10d penny nail into a 4d hole.

>Don,
>
>I think people make these assumptions out of a (justified) fear of
>snapping small parts, and having a finite amount of time to
>repair/replace them before moving onto the next service call(on
>time).

This was my case, didnt want to make the wrong choice first. And, yes
I did go to Dons action center class but years ago, and no plastic
was discussed. The big question here is what causes centers to become
so incredibly loose. It must be some thing in the materials because
you dont have a bushing shrink by 1/32, in the same spot throughout
the piano, under normal use, oftern even in 100 year old instruments
in our climate the bushings are too tight rather than too loose. I
really dont think repinning is an option but I will report when I go
back next week.
--
----Dave

Dave Doremus RPT