Price of Ivory

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 01:03:42 -0600

Wim said: "The charge for the ivory twice what you paid for it..". I can
live with that.<G> ",plus a few bucks to put them on." This I can't live
with!
To properly Replace an Ivory head/tail, it takes appoximately 1 hour to =
do
the job right, IMO. So....., you should charge a retail price for the =
Ivory
Head or Tail, Plus one hour of your "Shop Rate". If you are simply =
regluing
a "recent" ivory "fall off", then, at least 1/2 hour would be required. =
(And
no charge for the Ivory.

Say your hourly rate is only $50.  Then just the labor to reglue an =
ivory is $25, if it takes a half hour, and that's if the the ivory =
wasn't missing.  I can think of very very few piano owners that would =
pay that much for just one key.  Maybe the people with nice grands that =
have almost-pristine ivories.  Everybody else would just say, "Forget =
it; I'll stick it on myself with Crazy Glue!"
    What one should charge and what people will pay are two different =
things. =20
    --David Nereson, RPT