Bonk

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 17:38:28 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_0019_01C3329B.FA7E3280
In that case, this kind of repair would be out of my realm of work. Thanks a
lot, as I think you Bonked the nail on the head.

Richard Strang
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Alan
  Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 4:20 PM
  To: 'Pianotech'
  Subject: RE: Bonk

  I’ve had a similar experience where the bridge crown had separated
slightly on either side of the tenor/treble notch. When you hit the note the
string sounded, but not very powerfully. Meanwhile you also got this loud
wooden bonk that sounded like hitting a drum player’s wood block trap.

  Look for separation or split in the bridge, or maybe it’s come loose from
the soundboard (crack in board?).

  I think it still sounds okay when you pluck it because of the relatively
very small amount of energy you are putting into it compared to wanging it
with a hammer.

  Speaking of hammers: Where ARE they striking and are they still in good
condition, haven’t “popped” or anything?

  Alan R. Barnard

  Salem, MO