Re; Helper springs WAS Re: Key Leads and Inertia

Sat, 14 Jun 2003 21:31:41 -0700

The problem I find might be solved in the following manner.  Use a helper
spring on the way up attached to the wippen (as usual).  Employ another
spring attached to the hammer flange pressing down on the top of the hammer
shank which would help to reset the hammer and keep it from bouncing around
(one of the problems with assist springs).  By utilizing the wippen assist
for 15 grams, say, and the hammer shank return spring for 5 grams, you
would still enjoy a net benefit of 10 grams off the FW.  Might be a small
clearance problem under the block, but hey, we sent a man to the moon
didn't we?  Or did we?

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net