Re; Helper springs WAS Re: Key Leads and Inertia

Sun, 15 Jun 2003 12:05:26 +0200

Bill Ballard wrote:

>  What I'd like to know is, if the helper springs really
> make the SWs seem smaller, how is the dynamic  behavior of a spring
> balanced action different from one with  simply, equivalently light
> hammers.

Center of mass is going to be in different places throughout the stroke,
perhaps have a different movement pattern or curve to it, and the amount of
mass and accompanying intertia will vary. Friction at the knuckle will be less
in the light hammer action, hammer wont yank at the center pin quite so much.
All these things and more are bound to be translated one way or another through
the rest of the action and out the fingers. Pianists would say it "feels
different"

Just how the coupling between the whippen and key is affected is interesting,
and I thought might be real interesting to look at in a comparison between key
magnet assist, and whippen assist.

To get the same BW the weight at the capstan will have to be increased if the
assist is done at the key

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.