OT Steinway Bashing (was OT or BORING)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 11:36:20 -0500

>If all piano makers would just learn to do all the things that we on the
>list say that they should do then we could all go look for other jobs.
>
>Phil F

How can that be? Automobiles have improved immensely in performance,
safety, efficiency, longevity, and dependability in the last hundred years,
but there are still more than a few auto mechanics in business. If piano
manufacturers had continued with, and expanded the R&D some were doing way
back when, the pianos available today would be considerably different. They
didn't, and it's not. So if all the manufacturers on the planet suddenly
(inexplicably) became interested in trying to learn what they could do to
improve their products, there are still a lifetime's worth of existing dogs
for us piano mechanics to hunt, as well as servicing the new and
incrementally improved ones. Had the R&D and evolution in the industry not
died a hundred years ago, we might very well not be necessary to piano
maintenance by now, in which case we would all be doing something else and
wouldn't know the difference. We are, after all, doing piano work because
we don't know about the other higher paying jobs we're better suited to,
and should have gone for if we'd only known.

Without dissatisfaction, there can be no progress.