Best glue for ivory?

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:55:38 -0500

On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 09:20  AM, David Love wrote:

> I think contact cement is the worst stuff to use.  It can permanently
> discolor the ivory, will show through the translucency, and usually
> fails
> after a while.

I agree. I have come to many pianos where contact cement had been used
and keytops were both discolored and coming off. Don't use contact
cement.

Years ago here on pianotech, no less a personage than Steve Brady
suggested Duco cement for the occasional reinstallation of real ivory.
Duco cement is not contact cement so the keytop can be carefully
positioned. Duco cement is colorless and seems to be a good choice if
the original linen is still present. If the keytop is installed without
linen, the color of the wood could show through; I believe Schaff still
has linen/glue wafers available.

Kent Swafford