price-shoppers!

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:07:42 -0700

on 6/16/03 7:19 PM, pianolover 88 at pianolover88@hotmail.com wrote:

> know we can't book EVERY call, but that's what I'm striving for! What I
> DON'T want to do is get caught up in a "price war" with other tuners. I know
> there are some tuners out there that will cut their prices to the bone, just
> too appeal to those price hunters, but I hate to have to stoop to "price
> wars" to compete with the few who charge $55 a tuning! I'm striving to
> emphasize Quality, precision, and professional, curteous service, and I know
> my loyal cusomers appreciate this.
>
> Terry Peterson

I really think it's all in your mind.....I believe you live in Torrance,
right?  that's greater LA;  I charge $135, and will move to $145 in 2004.
I know a lot of guys who charge $100-125.  Sincerely, you don't want the
price shoppers; the more you charge, the better quality of client you
attract; there's a lot of affluent Asian piano students and all sorts of
affluent, serious piano owners in the South Bay/Palos Verdes area.  Go for
it.  The hell with the bottom-feeding $55 tooners.  YOUR kind of clients
know that, especially in the service realm, you get what you pay for.  You
can make excuses all day to me and yourself about "the competition," but
ultimately it's just fear of failure or something inside you.....you know
you're good, better than most.....charge what you're worth.

It's like magic: the more you charge (without getting nuts) the better class
of clients you attract, and the more you inspire yourself to do better work.
You're running in great company, Terry; some of the best technicians in the
world are on this list. Seek excellence, dude, and ye shall find.

Hope this helps.....David Andersen

P.S. oh yeah....they ask you a straight question: "how much do you charge?"
Give them a straight answer, then shut up.  No dancing around or
conversation necessary.