SF Bay Area Piano Broker

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 05:24:25 EDT

In a message dated 6/16/03 12:25:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
pcpoulso@pacbell.net writes:

> Hello all, and particularly to those in the SF-Bay area: A client of mine
> has been talking to a piano broker over there who has a1915 Steinway O in
> original condition for sale, at $18,500. The dealer is a woman by the name
> of Susan Gilmer. She claims it is in excellent condition, but will need
> hammers soon. (At least!) Anyone familiar with this person and her
> reputation? My customer would have a three hour drive to inspect the piano,
> so we are trying to arm ourselves with any available information. Thanks,
> Patrick C. Poulson
> Registered Piano Technician
> Piano Technicians Guild

Patrick,

I have heard of her.  She is a tech/broker in this area.  As far as
reputation, I haven't heard anything bad(or great, for that matter...).  You might have
somebody \on this list who lives in this area check the piano out for your
friend/client.

David Andersen said this is too much to pay for an O in the stated condition.
 I won't disagree, but the reality is that in this area, EVERYTHING is
expensive.  Pianos are no different.  I have seen many pianos that need extensive
work sell for what many people would consider way too much money.

On the other hand, if the piano has been around here for a long period of
time, it is likely in good shape, because the climate seems accomodate graceful
ageing in pianos.

Dave Stahl