price-shoppers!

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:27:30 +0200

After having asked how did they get my phone, when did they had that
piano and who was tuning it habitually, (and discover they moved or
t-he piano was just bought, or the usual tuner moved) I give a price.
If the piano is due for supplement PR and work, I simply tell them
that to call a tooner if that is the price they are after, I add that
there are in the sector some tuners very ready to tune a piano 1/4 or
1/2 tone lower than usual, and if that is what they are after they can
go for it.

After that they can call them, and they understand may be better the
prices that are given them.
Sometime they call back (and I discover they are nice people only used
to compare prices and service before making their mind)

It is useless of course to get aggressive about it, I have the
pleasure to send a full budget proposition to a little music school
who asked for the usual "2 tunings/year price" (was around 10 times
the prices they asked). This turn to be a big help, not for me, but
for their usual tuner who get more ease with them (I was not really
interested nowadays)
I explained them that I had no interest in "tuning 2 times/year" but
in "full maintenance course" and that it was a different story

I understand that it is  good for us to keep our level even if the
demands seem to ask for something else.

A 21 pianos schools accepted a real maintenance course as based on the
CAUT work lately, that is a first timer in Paris (for what I know)
Being able to give them numbers and percentages is of course a big
help.

I digress...

Best to all

Isaac OLEG