Jesse French Plastic

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:56:01 EDT

In a message dated 6/17/03 8:42:48 AM Central Daylight Time, ray@bentley.net
writes:

> Are parts available to fit this action to repair it?  I told her that it
> would probably take a commitment of several hundred dollars to replace all of
> the plastic, even if suitable wooden replacements are available.  She and I
> both feel that given the age of both the piano and the client, that repairs are
> probably not economically feasible.  I feel that repairing only those that
> are broken at this time will not produce long lasting satisfaction, as other
> parts will no doubt continue to break in the future.  Any thoughts or
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks to all.
>
> Ray

Before telling her the parts can be replaced, take a sample of each of the
parts, (like note 2 or something), and send it to Schaff. Several years ago I
tried to replace the plastic parts on a Story & Clark, but couldn't find
suitable parts.

It's going to cost about $1400 to replace everything, including damper
levers. So the question is, can she buy another piano for that? She probably could,
but if she has emotional attachment to the piano, she might opt to have the
work done.

You might be able to persuade her to do the work if she has any notion of
passing the piano on to her kids or grandchildren. You can explain that sooner or
later someone will have to spend the money, otherwise the piano will remain
useless.

Wim