Pitch raise

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:27:21 -0500

One reason I charge for a pitch correction (1/2 tuning fee) is to help
fix in the customer=92s mind the need for regular tuning. In fact, I =
tell
people that if I tune the piano regularly and it ever needs a pitch
correction, I will do it for free. I tire of tuning pianos that are 3-?
years between tunings. It=92s an education and motivation thing, for me,
as well as fair compensation for the work, no apologies.
=20
BTW =93regularly=94 is annually for stable pianos in fairly stable
environments, e.g., Acrosonic spinet in a climate controlled home.
Otherwise it is 2X per year, e.g., Hamilton studio in a church that only
has heat and air for about 6 hours a week!
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of David M. Porritt
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 7:26 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Pitch raise
=20
I've seen it said several times that for a tuning fee, there is an
allocated time.  If tuning doesn't take up the whole time other things
(voicing, tighten screws etc.) will be done for that same "tuning fee".
However, many say that if they do a pitch raise, still within that time
frame, that they charge extra for it.=20
=20
Why is it that a pitch raise requires the extra charge when everything
else done during the allocated time is included in the normal charge? =20
=20
dave

David M. Porritt

dporritt@mail.smu.edu