Bottom This!

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:55:53 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 5:01 PM
  Subject: Bottom This!

  I=92d say =93Top This=94 but it=92s not really a high point or an =
achievement.

  =20

  Tuning a not-so-bad little Wurly spinet (Thayer Action) for an older =
lady in a retirement community apartment.

  =20

  Refrigerator humming along at about 15 db

  Ceiling fan with bad bearings whizzing around at about 20 db

  Window air conditioner whooshing out white noise at about 40 db

  Barry Manilow kind of music coming from the apartment next door, =
softly but annoying

  Daughter and Grandkids (ages 2 and 4) show up, conversation 20 db, 50 =
db laughter and squealing, with gusts up to 90

  TV comes on, the Cartoon Network at maybe 25 db

  Maintenance man shows up on humongous lawn tractor, back and forth, =
back and forth, roaring under the window. Don=92t know the db level but =
HE is wearing ear defenders!

  His helper arrives with the gas Weed-Eater =
BzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzzzzzzzWzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzwzzz!

  =20

  Whipped out my PocketPC-Tunelab and DID IT. Everyone said it sounded =
great when I finished: But what do THEY know!

  =20

  Alan R. Barnard

  Salem, MO

  =20

  P.S. I=92ve tuned while rock bands practiced in the next room and =
dealt with every kind of clock, etc. But I=92m convinced that the high =
pitched squeals of small children are the hardest sounds to tune =
through.

  Even if I had my magnetic pickup for the ETD along, I'd have quit, and =
said, "I'll come back another day when it's quieter", forfeiting the =
fee, but retaining my sanity and self-respect.  I mean, if they can't =
"shut up" for 90 minutes, then they don't deserve a decent tuning.  =
--Dave Nereson, RPT