Bolduc Block - Bit Size - Torque

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 00:08:28 EDT

Terry Farrell writes:

> >a new Bolduc quarter-sawn  (more-or-less) hard-maple pinblock. I am using
> Ron Nossaman's two-bit
> >drilling method. I started out with a final drill size of 0.25-inch
> >(actually the drill bit that Pianotek sells specifically for the Bolduc
> >blocks - it is actually about 0.247-inch). I was consistently getting
> >an  initial torque exceeding 200 in.-lbs. . I am getting an initial torque
> (right after pounding the
> >pin to stringing height) of about 180 in.-lbs.

Ed F sez:

> Yikes,  this is WAY too tight for finesse.  I use the Bolduc blocks with
> 1/0
> pins and a C drill. I drill them in one pass.

We have used many Bolduc blocks, and like them. We used several sets of 1/0
pins, and I decided that I don't like the feel in non-bushed pianos, so we went
back to 2/0. I drill .250 in one pass, and come out about 120-130 inch pounds
right after. I'm surprised Terry's are coming out that tight.
Bob Davis