Broken Screw Extraction/Terry Farrell

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:53:12 -0700

Terry,
Oh! Oh! :-( "Stuff Happens" springs to mind. Seriously, there are "Screw
Extractors" available from "Woodworking" Stores and Catalogues, (being a
Catalogue Junkie, myself!<G>). These little thingees are simply a tube with
saw teeth that can be chucked into a drill. The drill is in "reverse". I've
only found two sizes available: size #8 screws and #10. In your case, since
it is a #10 screw, the commercial one should do. For different sizes, I have
made them out of tool steel dowel stock. Drill center to "just" fit around
the screw diameter. Hand filed saw teeth. And Voila'! Be aware that the
Commercial ones, available, are really VERY Hard/Brittle thingees, that WILL
break, if you put side pressure or try to "force" it. DAMHIK! If one breaks,
you've got a real MESS! I'm wondering, did you use Bee's Wax? This usually
cuts down on the screw breakage problem. Just curious. An off-line post
would suffice, to avoid embarassment.<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)