Bolduc Block - Bit Size - Torque

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:30:54 -0300

Hi Terry,
The speed you drill at has an effect on the size of the hole, one way the
hole is larger, the other smaller, with the same size bit.
I forget which is which, but too fast is no good and neither is too slow.
Possibly someone can remember the speeds that should be used.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 9:15 AM
Subject: Re: Bolduc Block - Bit Size - Torque

> Good point Richard. And hence, in part, why my questions. I wonder if it
is not my two pass drilling method that is affecting results. I wonder what
drilling process was used for the Mike McCoy tests - and as you point out,
what kind of drill rig they used.

> I am using my overhead drill press which does a wonderful job of holding
the drill bit at my specified angle very steady. I also bought a very good
after-market chuck for the drill to minimize runout. Perhaps my straight
running drill bit and my steady drill press are drilling smaller holes than
other setups might drill.

> I had looked at the McCoy spreadsheets previously, and thanks Ron N. for
posting the update. But this being only my third job drilling a pinblock and
first on a Bolduc block, I tend to have these very basic questions - and
there is quite a bit of conflicting info. Just trying to get as much info as
possible to see what the range of experience and opinions are out there.