individual hitch pins

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:49:01 EDT

In a message dated 6/19/03 2:37:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
rstrang@pa.inter.net writes:

> Hello everyone,
>   I have never put in a new pin block in any piano, and I don't think I
> would relish the job, but I have always wondered how a person would get a
> plate screw into a freshly drilled hole in the new block. Is there a tool
> one would use to make the new threads, or does one just horse a a big square
> headed screw/bolt in to make the threads and follow it with the actual
> screw? Just wondering.
>
> Richard

When drilling new holes for plate screws, you need to make a two stage hole.
You need to measure the width of the shoulder of the screw, (that's the
portion closest tot he the head, and usually without threads), and make the hole in
the pin block about the same diameter, or slightly smaller, as the this. Then
you need to drill the hole in the block the same diameter as the inside of the
screw threads.

Then, using a brace and screw driver tips, screw in the screw. The screws
will go easier into the block if you put a little bees wax or soap on the
threads.

Wim