Of Magnents and Ratio

Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:20:57 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip Ford" <fordpiano@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 19, 2003 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: Of Magnents and Ratio

> >The device itself consists of a screw resembling a drop screw that goes
> >throught he shank just aft of the knuckle, the bottom of which has a
> >magnet attached. Just under this on the repetition lever is a repeling
> >counterpart. Both are fully adjustble and are angled such that the
> >distance between them is  maintained through the arcs of the two part
> >through most of the key stroke............
> >
> >Cheers
> >RicB
>
> I wonder about the effect on hammer line and blow distance with this
device.  When the hammer is supported by the repetition lever and spring
there is a hard adjustable stop that determines the location of the hammer.
Not so with this device as far as I can see.

> I also question the idea that you want to reduce friction between the
jack and knuckle to zero or near zero.  I think the pianist needs this
friction as feedback.

Keeping in mind that at anything above the lightest pianissimo the jack
slams out of the way with such force and speed it's escapement is going to
be undetectable by the pianist anyway.

Del