VC

Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:14:54 +0200

Jon Page wrote:

> Ric,
> seems to me that much of the effect of the field would go into
> counteracting the mass of the magnets.

Magnets are amazing things... a Ø10mm x 5mm of the right sort can lift 2.5
kilos. Two opposing ones in the right dimensions can do what I need them to
do... at least I hope so :)

> Why not, instead of a key-mount magnet, a wippen rail-mount magnet and an
> opposing magnet 'behind' the heel.
> This would reduce mass in the key and minimize the mass of a metal slug in
> the wippen, lowering wsw.

The mass of one of these things is minimal really, and central to the idea is
to seperate the weight and distance components of the ratio, so I have to work
with two opposing levers as it were. Your concern tho was right on the money,
and one of the first things I worried about.

> Another question I would have is want effect would the adjacent mag fields
> have on wip travel.

Dont know yet.. but that kind of problem doesnt seem to bother Velo and his
counterbalancing solutions, or his hammer assist setup. I havent noticed
anysuch problems yet. Tho I will be putting the test to this idea next week.

> How about a magnetic insert for the capstan head and an opposing magnet for
> the heel above the cushion, direct, constant.

THIS is a neat idea !!.. Perhaps a bit more difficult to regulate the magnetic
effect... but doable.

> Cheers,
>
> Jon

I take the liberty of posting this to the list as well. Hope thats ok.

Cheers
RicB

--
Richard Brekne