Don't try this at home

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 02:24:04 EDT

List,

Did an interesting job tonight that made me very happy to have my Tunelab
Pocket on hand.  It was a Kawai console, purchased secondhand by the gentleman
who called me to book the job.  He was complaining that the piano had gone flat
on him, and wondered if he should pound the pins in to get them to hold.  He
explained that the piano had been half a step flat before he decided to tune it
himself.  And it would just not stay at pitch.

Fortunately, nobody got hurt.

I arrived at his home to find a piano ranging from 113% flat to 10%#...and
these were neighboring notes.  Turns out he'd bought a Seiko tuner that only
went up to octave six, and he'd tried to tune the rest.  The bass he'd attempted
to tune using 5ths, 4ths and thirds, having absolutely no clue what to really
listen for.

I can only imagine the forces that were being exerted on the poor piano.  Did
the appropriate pitch raise using my ETD, and found the piano tunable
afterwards.  The hard part was getting Tunelab to recognize the note instead of
hearing it as the note a half step down.

I was surprised at how well it came out.  I told the client not to expect it
to hold particularly well, and recommended that he stick with playing his
piano(he was a good player) instead of turning pins as I handed him the "Pitch
Raise" leaflet provided by the PTG..  Since he had rendered it unrecognizable as
a piano, he agreed not to try this at home again, and scheduled an appointment
in 3 months.

What was he thinking?

A).  Ahhh, it's easy, I have a good ear.
B).  Hey, it's only 200+ strings.  I'm sure I'll get a couple of them right.
C).  I'm gonna make that next tuner work for his $.(he did, but he paid for
it, too!)
D).  All of the above

Another interesting day by the bay.

Dave Stahl