tuning narrow and wide

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 01:07:55 -0600

>>I also get confused when people say wider or narrower, wider or =
narrower than
what.<<

=20

beatless, or precise whole-number ratios, such as 6:5, 4:3, 3:2, etc.

=20

<<What is the standard.>>

=20

There is none, as far as stretch is concerned; it varies from piano to =
piano.=20

=20

>>  For me, the slowly rolling beats of
> the fourths and the barely rolling beats of the fifths are much easier =
> hear accurately than thirds/sixths/tenths/seventeenths; they take you =
the
> same place in ET, and the fourths and fifths are much more precise.

=20

That's great, for you, but for most, I think it's easier to tell if a =
third or sixth is beating 5 rather than 6 beats per second than it is to =
tell if a fifth is beating 0.5 or 0.7 bps.

    --David Nereson, RPT