bonker

John Baird jbairdrpt@insightbb.com
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:27:45 -0500

Photos attached.
1) felt striker
2) wrist brace striker (prosthesis ?)1
3) wrist brace striker (prosthesis ?) 2

I make key strikers out of scrap hammer felt, shaping them to fit
comfortably in my hand on the belt sander. When they get dirty, you can
remove a layer of felt with the belt sander -- over time, of
course, this cleaning reduces the size of the striker.

Wrist tendonitis bothers me for a few days every year during heavy
tuning seasons. Wearing a wrist brace (available at medical supply
stores) relieves only a small amount of the pressure on the wrist, but
gluing a felt striker onto the brace directly under the wrist, relieves
all of the pressure, and feels very good. The brace has a metal bar
that distributes the impact over several inches of your arm. There are
two problems: 1) This places your hand farther forward, even into the
fallboard, especially when striking the black keys. This is solved
somewhat by angling your arm. 2) The slightly different sitting
position can cause other aches and pains.

John Baird

[Photos at:]

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/files/attachments/a0/ba/8f/7f/
bonkersfeltpiecese.JPG