Exploding Pianos

Blaine Hebert blaine.hebert@att.net
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 20:15:36 -0700

My one experience with exploding pianos was at a refinisher (who will
remain nameless) where, as a youngster, I was repairing a dealer's
action.  The refinisher, trying to save the cost of having me or a
qualified tuner tune the piano was chipping it up from no tension to
above pitch with a Strobo-Tuner, starting with note 1.  About in the
middle of the treble section I heard what sounded like a shotgun going
off.  The plate split across the area near the hitch pins and between
the bars, near one of the nose bolts, and was more than 3/4 inch between
the cracked ends.  He never did get that upright welded together again.

Needless to say, since then I pitch raise very, very carefully, often
tuning all Cs, then all Fs, then all Gs, etc..

Blaine Hebert