Blind fold comparisons

Sat, 21 Jun 2003 12:21:36 +0200

Richard Moody wrote:

> Richard Brekne wrote :

> > My point is that its not just a matter of  << a good bass >>,but one
> in
> > relationship to the piano overall, and one in relationship tot he
> > acoustics of the room its being used in.

To whit Richard Moody replied

> Yes that is my point also.  How the piano sounds where ever it is
> and in comparison to other pianos.  So I have always dreamed of a
> blindfold comparison not only with the listeners but with the
> players.  What an experience to go blindfolded through the exhibit
> hall and  play for just 30 seconds the various pianos with another
> blindfolded player. I know it sounds short but I think what would
> happen is that the players would go back and forth between 3 or 4
> pianos in the end of those they deem  "best".  Listening while
> playing, listening while being played close, and  further away.
> etc etc.

I think, if one were to first begin to really exploit what blindfolded
tests can tell us about what we can and cant discern aurally, it would
be good to remember that this kind of listening  essentially represents
an undeveloped skill.  When a person looses his/her sight, for example
they are forced to start paying far more attention to their aural
environment just to be able to function in it, and they develope some
new listening skills.

I would be willing to bet that given 10 real good aural tuners, twenty
different piano makes, and a month of appropriate training, they would
be able to blindfolded identify all of them without difficulty.

> Hopefully this would be the day when the exhibit hall
> is opened to the musical public with a number of piano teachers,
> and their students along with professors, under grad and grad
> candidates, music union members, pros and aspiring owners of
> expensive grands.  Of course they might want to participate also
> in the "blind judgement".     ----rm

I think that blind judgement today, is just as likely to be telling us
what we havent learned to hear, as it can tell us what is possible to
hear.

Cheers

RicB

--