Virtual Capstan

Mark Davidson mark.davidson@mindspring.com
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 13:52:30 -0400

>Richard Brekne wrote:
"Well, first and formost, what is happening is that Im essentially =
increasing leverage with respect to weight only. The position of this << =
invisible capstan >> is important. Putting the magnets behind the =
capstan would make the action heavier at the key front.. The force =
pushes up as much as it pushes down. (again your Newtons Third). Thats =
why I call it the an invisible or <<virtual capstan >>. Thats what it =
functions like (a bit springy.. but thats not important because we =
havent removed the real capstan.) It very well splits the leverage =
components (distance and weight) into two independantly adjustable =
quantities. This works by changing weight leverage without changing=20
distance leverage, to put it that way. "

I agree that moving some of the upward force closer to the balance rail =
increases leverage.  But consider for a moment
the example of moving a regular capstan toward the balance rail.  =
Downward force required to move the key is decreased.
Work at front of key =3D force * distance, which is less because force =
is less.
However the wippen and hammer also do not move as far, so the work at =
the back of the key is ALSO less.  The changes balance
out. =20

With your idea, however, the wippen and hammer move the SAME distance =
with or without magnets (same amount of work at back of key)
but with different amounts of work at the front of the key.  This is =
actually a huge advantage because you do not have to re-regulate=20
dip/blow etc.=20

Mysterious, no?

-Mark