Virtual Capstan

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 13:30:16 -0500

>Actually, the distance between the magnets is so stable that I dont think you
>can notice this with conventional UW/DW measurements. Tho there is a slight
>difference in the amount of vertical rise in the whippen at this point
>compared
>to the key at this point to be sure. In anycase...it doesnt affect the motion
>characteristics of either measurement noticebly.

No, the distance between the magnets can't be constant ("stable") during
the keystroke. It's going to be about 3mm wider at the bottom of the stroke
than it is at the beginning. As magnetic field strength lessens in inverse
proportion to the square of the distance between them as they diverge, the
lift they supply will lessen. As I said, the pressure on the back of the
key will also lessen, which will counteract this some - but not entirely as
the leverages will tell you. The difference may not be enough to get in the
way, but it is there.

> > First class lever in the key, second
> > class lever from the magnet lift of the wippen.
>
>Not sure I follow you here. A second class lever is one in which the
>fulcrum is
>at one end, the load in the middle, and the input at the opposite end.

That's right. The wippen magnet is the input for auxiliary lift, taking
some load off the capstan. When the key is played, the magnet on the wippen
becomes the inertial load on a third class lever with the capstan as input
as well as still being input on the second class lever taking some load off
the capstan.

>Seems to me that the real capstan is still doing the bulk of the work, and
>this
>is providing a suppliment to this.

I haven't said different.

>Still unclear what you mean... but I will think on it. In the meantime...
>total
>weight involved (now that I'm down to three magnets) is about 4 grams.
>With 65%
>on the key and the rest on the whippen.

It may not prove to be a problem, but I still think it should be considered.