Hearing test

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 20:49:51 +0100

Hello there,

Richard Strang wrote;

(Comments interspersed.)

           >>>"Here's a little hearing test. Rub your thumb and first finger
together about 2 or three inches">>>

This is the exact same test that I use, but you should rub your fingers at
arm's length away (about 3 feet, not 3 inches).

     >>"Do it with both ears. If you can't hear the rubbing, you have a
significant hearing loss. Do it with both ears. I can hear it just fine in
the right ear, but not a thing in the left, though I am far from deaf ">>>

This is exactly the same problem and symptoms that I have. I damaged the
hearing in my left ear from playing in a band for 14 years with the PA
speaker on my left.

>>>"As one ages, he loses the ability to hear certain frequencies. Some
frequencies can be heard unchanged, but others disappear. I cannot hear the
electronic alarm clock beeper in one ear, but just fine in the other. I am
still able to hear the partials while tuning">>>

Not to worry too much. I have found that because I can't hear the higher
frequencies with my left ear I can actually hear the fundamentals of those
bass strings ever so much more clearly as the slight deafness has cut out
all the c%*#.

Now to the next message; seems I have ruffled a few feathers in Amsterdam.
Reply coming soon.

Regards
Alan Forsyth.