Virtual Capstan

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 22:18:13 +0200

On zaterdag, jun 21, 2003, at 21:54 Europe/Amsterdam, Bill Ballard
wrote:

>  Let's hope that Antares isn't being too hasty in pulling out the
> springs out of his own action.
>
> Bill Ballard RPT
> NH Chapter, P.T.G.

(; >)) High Bill,

It took me quite some time to change the old whippens for new ones with
assist springs.
I must say, it worked out pretty well :
This is a bit older Steinway grand of which the original hammers were
smallish, and about 1 gram less than the ones of today.
I could have solved the weight problem in different ways but chose for
the assist springs because :
a. I had never worked with them before
b. We (my business partner and me)  had them made especially for us by
Renner
and c. I just needed the experience.

So now, I have all keys down to a perfect 47 grams and the up-weight is
very healhty too. The only thing I don't like is the fact that the new
hammers are too long (the tails are longer than the original ones) and
actually I don't like the extra 'feel' of the assist spring. It is not
direct enough and un-Steinway-like.
So now we have good old Ricardo here working out for us all a nice and
inexpensive way to throw all methods in the ocean.

A toast to our Normarican friend..
Cheers!

Antares,
The Netherlands