Virtual Capstan

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 01:44:05 EDT

In a message dated 6/21/2003 8:56:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
BobDavis88@aol.com writes:

> In order for a pair of magnets to store potential energy in the deformation
> of the magnetic field, one of them must be mounted outside the moving part
> of the system; i. e., on the action frame.

Well, slight correction, I mean energy storage that makes the action lighter.
A multiple capstan, solid or virtual, just distributes the point(s) of
application of the force - it doesn't lessen the input force required to move the
wippen. The changing gap of the magnet just changes the distribution of the load
between the two capstans.
Bob