tuning exam in U.S.

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 07:33:39 -0500

At 20:21 06/22/2003 +0930, you wrote:
>Now that is great. Get the best instrument to do a test on. The average
>piano tuning is on a had to tune smaller poorly scaled upright. Which is
>harder to tune. Gee they make it easy.
>
>Tony Caught
>Adelaide Australia
>No, our Piano Technicians Guild tuning exam requires a 6-foot or larger
>grand in reasonably good condition.
>     --David Nereson, RPT

Tony,

I agree that the small, cheap, old and other alleged pianos are hard to
tune.  They are, however, also exponentially harder to score consistently.

If you want to test someone's ability to tune temperaments, octaves and
unisons it stands to reason (IMMHO) that you would test on an instrument
who's point of diminishing returns is reached somewhat later than just
walking in the door.

Less than stellar instruments are, in a  way, EASIER to tune.  Their
inconsistencies cover up _your_ inconsistencies.

To use a photographic analogy, let's say that I have a picture of the pin
area of a plate which I want to put on the list.  If I scan the negative
and reduce it to a 70-100k sized .jpg so that it can easily be sent, it
will look good enough, and you may think that you see that the coils are
all really neat, etc.  To be sure, however, you blow it up to full screen,
but the only thing that gains you is a pixellated image.

If I scan it at a high resolution resulting in a .jpg of 700k-1Meg (or
larger), when you blow it up to full screen (or larger) you might see what
looked like a shadow is actually a fingerprint (bloody, of course) and some
coils which aren't all that good, after all.

Which resolution would give you a better idea of workmanship?

Which piano would really give a tester a better idea of ability?

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.