Virtual Capstan

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:11:43 -0500

>Ok, so putting the magnet(s) behind the capstan makes the action heavier as
>the key moves, in it's stroke. I can understand that.<G> Why not put the
>magnet "IN" the wippen heel? It would take more work to install, but
>wouldn't change the basic "ratio", (?). In this way you could define how
>much the magnet(s) effect the actual "touch".
>Best Regards,
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

If it doesn't change the ratio, it won't lessen touch weight. That's why.
Putting the magnet in the heel would be no different than putting in a
non-magnetic weight. The magnetic lift and mechanical advantage from the
second class lever of the wippen is the only thing that makes this work. So
far, it looks like I am the only one who has actually taken a little time
to try and work out the leverages involved. Forget action terminology for a
moment (pun intended), and go back to basic mechanics.