Virtual Capstan

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:42:42 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >Ok, so putting the magnet(s) behind the capstan makes the action heavier as
> >the key moves, in it's stroke. I can understand that.<G> Why not put the
> >magnet "IN" the wippen heel? It would take more work to install, but
> >wouldn't change the basic "ratio", (?). In this way you could define how
> >much the magnet(s) effect the actual "touch".
> >Best Regards,
> >Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
>
> If it doesn't change the ratio, it won't lessen touch weight. That's why.
> Putting the magnet in the heel would be no different than putting in a
> non-magnetic weight.

I concure.

> The magnetic lift and mechanical advantage from the
> second class lever of the wippen is the only thing that makes this work. So
> far, it looks like I am the only one who has actually taken a little time
> to try and work out the leverages involved.

You no doubt are the one to have looked closest in this direction. But I am
still not quite convinced of this 2nd class lever perspective, tho I am
hopefully going to get some time to look closer at your points tonite and
tommorrow. But for now I still like the compressible second capstan and heel
perspective.  Perhaps it ends up that either way of looking at it is sufficient
to describe it... I'm not sure.

> Forget action terminology for a
> moment (pun intended), and go back to basic mechanics.

btw .. I'll have those measurements for you in a bit

Cheers
RicB

--
Richard Brekne