Virtual Capstan

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:47:47 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> I doubt any significant friction effect, though there may be. It's
> primarily just leverage. Using a random action model I have on hand for
> dimensions, 1g placed on the key where the magnet would be adds 0.79g to
> the touch weight.

How can this be.... ? adding 1 gram to the key where the magnet is has to
result in less then half a gram at the key front. In fact since the KR is only
0.45 at that spot... it should add only 0.45 grams extra weight to the
existing TouchWeight.

How are you measureing Touchweight ?

> 1g on the wippen where the magnet would be adds 1.27g to
> the touch weight for a net +2.06g to the touch weight. 1g of magnetic lift
> adds 0.79g, and removes 1.27g, for a net loss of 0.48g to the touch. So 1g
> magnets must produce at least 2.06g lift to break even.

In the measurements I just took, adding the 2 grams of the whippen magnet
assembly increased the whippen radius weight taken at the cushion by 2.4
grams... which gets multiplied by the key ratio of 0.51 yielding 1.22 grams
increase at the key front. Thats half what you figure here. This is born out
by directly weighing them... I put 2 magnets at that point after zeroing the
scale. The magnets weighed 2.5 grams and the change in the scale was 1.1
grams.

My measurements show a total increase of dead weight mass of 4.5 grams, 2.5 on
the key 2 on the whippen, translating to an increase at the front of the key
to the existing touch weight of 2.32 grams, and this for 2.25 times the amount
of mass you are figureing on

??

RicB

--