TR: Virtual Capstan

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:53:58 +0200

Ron, Richard

What we may consider is how much force is necessary to keep that
advantage long enough during the stroke and not have it transferred
abruptly to the capstan, seem that we have now a variable leverage
during the stroke.

What I don't figure well is how velocity play a role, the pressure on
the contact parts is very strong during the stroke unless the action
decompress, is the repulsive action of the magnets still producing a
significant advantage under those conditions, why not ?

I guess I see your point about inertia, do you mean there is a
supplementary frictional force between the 2 magnets acting as a brake
is not it ? or was it just because of the weight of the parts.

The thing about the (less) friction input and the way it evolve during
the stroke may well be something to consider I guess.

Because the lower magnet is supported it rob a tad of friction, may be
not very significant for sure.

I guess another point that concern the shape of the magnetic field may
be examined, is a ring type magnet more focused and with less side
effect ? probably yes. may be a ring should be used on the keys and a
tubular magnet or a less large one on the whippen. WE should avoid
interference the most, and may be look for the most efficient setup in
that regard. I've seen also that some dome shaped magnet exist, (not
in that size may be) They could stay more efficient while the parts
are getting farther (and out of alignment).

Late stuff tonight !

Bests

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.