machines or not? what?

Colin Kenny kennys@kennyguitars.com
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:01:06 -0500

Re: machines or not? what?Very interesting.  I, and I'm sure other's, =
would like to hear more specifics about how the verituner didn't work =
for you.

Colin Kenny
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Keith McGavern=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2003 3:20 PM
  Subject: Re: machines or not? what?

  Terry, Antares, List Subscribers,

  I've thought long and hard concerning what I'm about to say, so it =
does not come easily or lightly for me to comment concerning the =
Verituner praises (see below) that are currently being advocated, and =
those that have been mentioned in the past. I now feel led to present an =
entirely different view as being a professionally important thing to do.

  I did purchase a Verituner earlier this year based largely on the =
glowing reports that have been proclaimed on Pianotech by a few =
subscribers, from the advertisements in the Journal and by the =
information provided on the Veritune's website.

  For the record I have prior experience with the Hale Sight-O-Tuner, =
the Sanderson Accu-Tuners' I & II and with the Reyburn Cybertuner. This =
covers a span of 20 + years. Also for the record, I am not claiming to =
be a great tuner, or in having extensive training to suffice anyone to =
believe I am an expert on the matter.

  So to continue:

  When it comes to the following claims of "...the most perfect tuning =
possible...", "... You just choose your pitch and that's just it...", =
"... every buyer that I know of went crazy after the very first =
tuning...", "... it will consistently yield a tuning equal to or better =
than a very fine aural tuning produced by a highly skilled aural =
tuner...", "... The VT is absolutely AMAZING..."

  I am not one of those persons who experienced any of the above quotes.

  All I have to support this statement is the years and the yield of =
tunings with the other devices I have used, and the results they have or =
have not provided. Some of the tunings are pianos I have tuned and =
serviced for those 20 + years on a regular basis.

  I had greatly wished and hoped for the results to be the same as those =
claimed by the existing Verituner owners, however, it did not happen for =
me.

  Whether that be due to operator error, incompetence on my part, and/or =
a variety of any other factors that might exist, I cannot say. I only =
know after 2 months of usuage, it was an experience of complete =
frustration with continued trial and error outcomes. I gave up expecting =
to get anything close to the results that others have claimed to get =
whatsoever.

  I am disappointedly glad that some are completely satisfied with their =
Verituner results. Respectfully submitted,

  Keith McGavern
  Registered Piano Technician
  Oklahoma Chapter 731
  Piano Technicians Guild
  USA

  At 9:35 AM -0400 6/21/03, Farrell wrote:
  >I can only recommend to Tony that you get your hands on a Verituner =
and  tune a few >pianos. Try a few spinets. The experience will make you =
a believer. The VT is >absolutely AMAZING! When used properly, IMHO, it =
will consistently yield a tuning equal >to or better than a very fine =
aural tuning produced by a highly skilled aural tuner on a >good day who =
is well rested and who is in a good mood and only has the one tuning =