loose lyre posts

J Patrick Draine draine@attbi.com
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:48:38 -0400

List,
I'm doing a bit of damper regulation and lyre repair on an old Fischer
grand. While the glue joints between the lyre posts to the pedal box
were  already pretty loose, and readily disassembled with a few wacks
to the interior of the pedal box, the glue joints of the posts at the
top are only slightly loose (one is almost rock solid). As you can see
the posts' dowels don't go all the way through to the lyre top block.
If they did I could just support the top block, pound on the dowels,
and drive them out.
Putting the posts in a vice and wacking on the block with a rubber
hammer hasn't done much either.
Is there any likelihood that, since the dowels couldn't be wedged &
glued as they were in the pedal box, the post dowels are secured by
horizontal dowels underneath some veneer? How can they be this tight
without a wedge or dowel?
I know some of you do this often -- helpful hints for quick disassembly?
Patrick Draine

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: DSCN1104.jpg
Type: image/jpeg