restringing

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:10:01 -0400 (EDT)

You wrote:

First time, it will take you close to three 8-days.
An experienced person can do it in about two days.
......so I would bill the job based on, say, 18 hours.

My thinking on restringing time/billing/habits.
Note: I consider it important to include a number
of tunings. After spending all that money, it must
not be up to the client to decide to save a few
dollars on tuning, and leave the package sounding
poor.
A restringing job needs to be comprehensive.

For me at this time:

2hrs: Tear down, strings out, measured, pins,
      clean up....

6 hrs: Treble string in
2 hrs: bass string in

2 hrs to check/correct any coils, pin level,
string spacing, add stringing braid

1 hr two passes to a poor sounding tuning at A440.

1 hr: a real tuning to A444.
a week later it should be about A440.

2 hrs: seat all string on bridges, massage
string termination points. Correct pitch problems
this causes, and retune at A441.

Two tunings in home after delivery included,
one after two weeks, and another in 3 months.

If I judge that a home piano is being used at a
high level, I include 4 tunings and build it into\
the price.

Prices given in Canadian dollars.

S0 16 hours=              $800
plus parts at cost approx $500
( yes, go ahead and throw something)
, plus tunings. $160 to $360 depending on package.

$1500 is a common quote