Virtual Capstan

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:39:03 -0400

At 3:55 PM +0200 6/23/03, Richard Brekne wrote:
>Course that raises the need to find a convienient regulating scheme
>for those magnets aft of the capstan :) Not a biggie.

You could find the longest and thinnest Allen head cap screw, and
send it downwards through the body of the wippen, magnets attached to
the bottom end. A ball-headed Allen wrench could then make purchase
on the head without having to come directly down on top of it.
Meaning you could adjust the rear magnets, coming in slightly to the
side of the back half of the rep lever (or even bending it slightly
out of the way). A quick survey of reps around my shop showed me that
of any we're likely to see, only the Renner-Schwander and the
original WN&G don't have a nice thin taper on the backside of the rep
lever. Of course if you don't want to stray far from the cap you're
adjusting screw will have to go at least through the thicker portion
of the wippen body which provides the foundation for the post, if not
through the heel itself. All of this is extra weight, but fortunately
closer to the wippen center.

At 11:20 PM -0500 6/22/03, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>>Or do they affect inertia in other ways?
>There are other ways?

.....among practitioner of the Voodoo religion, there are certain
superstitions.......

To paraphrase Louis Jordan, "there aint nobody here but us moneys".

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Lady, this piano is what it is, I am what I am, and you are what you are"
     ...........From a recurring nightmare.