Restringing

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:27:00 -0500

>I have a rather simple loop maker that I purchased from the late Bob
>Russell Sr. It is both simple and easy to use. It produces predictable
>clean coils every time but is not without the possibility of gaffe's if
>your not paying attention to what you're doing. I'll give a brief
>description of it's construction. The body of it is from about a 1 1/2"
>hardwood dowel with a hole drilled through it longitudinally. In that hole
>is placed a brass sleeve insert through which ultimately the wire will
>pass on it's way to the looping end. There is another hole drilled through
>it tangentially(?) which has a key pin ( I think) going all the way
>through and protruding out each side to act as a handle to turn the dowel
>around the string passing through it. At the business end is a small tack
>or nail with a head driven in to one side of the brass sleeve. To use, all
>one does is to pass the string through the sleeve and out the other side.
>Using round jawed pliers make a loop in the string. Put the end of the
>loop against and under the nail head and slowly rotate the tool making the
>string end rotate around and thus giving you the coils. The only problem I
>ever have with it is visualizing which direction to rotate the tool for
>the desired outcome on the string. I like the tail to stop and rotate
>downwards against the plate. FWIW, I hope this helps someone. If you need
>a picture just yell.
>
>Greg Newell

I made one similar, years back, with a couple of differences. First, no
cross handle. Second, the other end has a #7 wood screw driven in and the
head cut off, and a small screw driven in next to it as a wire guide for
forming the loop around the #7 screw shank. The wire spring back sizes the
loop just right for the average hitch pin and you don't have to find a pair
of pliers in your toolbox as well as the looper. Same size loop every time,
double loops if you're of a mind, with a minimum amount of wire to have to
pull to tighten it on the hitch.

Ron N