Hitch Pin Loops, was: Restringing

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:01:01 -0400

Greg, Ron and anyone else caring to chime in:

The right (as opposed to the left or center) string on the piano I am restringing is individually tied to it's own hitch pin. I have installed vertical hitches on this piano. I tried tying a regular loop (so like, what is that?) while leaving some wiggle room (slack so it was not tight to the hitch), but that just came unwrapped. Roger Jolly spoke of German loops a while back. What are they? Perhaps to take full advantage of the vertical hitch, I really want to make a real loose loop like you would put on a bass string? Yes? Ideas?

Terry Farrell

>>I have a rather simple loop maker that I purchased from the late Bob
>>Russell Sr. It is both simple and easy to use. It produces predictable
>>clean coils every time but is not without the possibility of gaffe's if
>>your not paying attention to what you're doing. I'll give a brief
>>description of it's construction. The body of it is from about a 1 1/2"
>>hardwood dowel with a hole drilled through it longitudinally. In that
>>hole is placed a brass sleeve insert through which ultimately the wire
>>will pass on it's way to the looping end. There is another hole drilled
>>through it tangentially(?) which has a key pin ( I think) going all the
>>way through and protruding out each side to act as a handle to turn the
>>dowel around the string passing through it. At the business end is a
>>small tack or nail with a head driven in to one side of the brass sleeve.
>>To use, all one does is to pass the string through the sleeve and out the
>>other side. Using round jawed pliers make a loop in the string. Put the
>>end of the loop against and under the nail head and slowly rotate the
>>tool making the string end rotate around and thus giving you the coils.
>>The only problem I ever have with it is visualizing which direction to
>>rotate the tool for the desired outcome on the string. I like the tail to
>>stop and rotate downwards against the plate. FWIW, I hope this helps
>>someone. If you need a picture just yell.
>>
>>Greg Newell
>
>I made one similar, years back, with a couple of differences. First, no
>cross handle. Second, the other end has a #7 wood screw driven in and the
>head cut off, and a small screw driven in next to it as a wire guide for
>forming the loop around the #7 screw shank. The wire spring back sizes the
>loop just right for the average hitch pin and you don't have to find a
>pair of pliers in your toolbox as well as the looper. Same size loop every
>time, double loops if you're of a mind, with a minimum amount of wire to
>have to pull to tighten it on the hitch.
>
>Ron N

Greg Newell
Greg's piano Forté
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net