TuneLab

pianotek1963@netscape.net pianotek1963@netscape.net
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:19:01 -0400

I have to agree with those who are using TuneLab.  It is my preference.
I own a SAT II (excellent ETD).  I also tune aurally.

Take a look at the PTG archives.  I learned to use Tunelab 97 from reading
the archives.  If you want to get started quickly, download TL-97 and
David Porritt's Calcul8 plug-in.  There are other tuning curve editing
functions that Jim Coleman, David Porritt, and Ric Brekne have written
extensively on.

I also recommend downloading the trial version of TuneLab Pro/Pocket.
You can get one or two tunings on the trial version without any
interruptions.  Ultimately, you should purchase TuneLab Pro or Pocket.
Either of these programs will assist you in producing very smooth tunings.
Don't be intimidated that you have to edit the tuning curve with TuneLab.
You are given all of the tools to do it very quickly!

Evaluate the ETD's that are on the market.  Each of them are worthy of
consideration.  Decide which one is the best for you.  Properly used,
each is capable of assisting you in producing a very good tuning on a well scaled piano.  Each will help you retain your sanity on a less than well
scaled piano.

Be sure to learn aural tuning skills with any ETD.  Best of luck to you!

Regards,
Brent Musgrave